On October 12, 2017, California joined a growing trend of jurisdictions attempting to address pay disparities by enacting a law that bans employers from seeking salary history information, including compensation and benefit information, from job applicants. This includes the concern that relying upon salary history may perpetuate existing pay disparities.
To address this issue, California’s new law:
- Prohibits employers from seeking salary history information, including compensation and benefits, about an applicant for employment;
- Prohibits employers from relying on salary history when deciding whether to offer employment;
- Prohibits employers from relying on salary history when deciding what salary to offer; and
- Requires employers to provide a pay scale for the position to an applicant upon “reasonable request.”
Notably, although employers may not seek salary history information, if an applicant “voluntarily and without prompting” discloses salary history information, the employer may consider it in determining what salary to offer the applicant. Unique to California, however, is the requirement that employers provide a pay scale upon reasonable request—a requirement that may force employers to create such a scale for positions.
The new law, which becomes effective January 1, 2018, will be codified at California Labor Code section 432.3, and applies to “all employers,” both private and public.
Employers in California should begin reviewing their hiring policies and practices, including employment applications and recruiting inquiries, to determine what changes may be necessary to ensure compliance with this new law.
Through The Grapevine
- Dawn Bardessono, co-founded Benchmark Consulting in 1995, aspiring to combine her passion for the wine business with her expertise in attracting high-quality talent. Dawn oversees and takes the lead on all senior-level searches at Benchmark Consulting, utilizing her prior wine experience in the business and keen understanding of clients' needs to create lasting relationships
- Careers in WineMarch 10, 2021The Hundred Year Company
- Career InsightsAugust 26, 2020Our Focus: Peace of Mind
- HiringMay 6, 2020Now Is an Unprecedented Opportunity to Hire Great Talent…
- Careers in WineApril 8, 2020Ladies and Gentlemen Taking Care of Ladies and Gentlemen