A professional resume will make a significant difference in the time spent searching for a job and the amount of interviews secured. In the 21st century, when the majority of the application process is online, your resume is the first impression you’ll make on a future employer. Take the time and invest the money to ensure your resume is accurate, professional and thoroughly proofread. It’s worth the investment to ensure you’re remembered for all the right reasons.
1) Tailor your resume to match the position you’re applying for: Slight variations in the descriptions of your previous jobs and the wording of your professional skills will make your resume stand out to different employers. Ensure accuracy, you obviously must be able to deliver on everything promised and take the time to briefly explain how your skills will benefit the employer’s company.
2) Use effective titles and bullet points: Clearly divide your resume into sections including contact information, education and job history. Use bullet points to list schools, positions and job descriptions for easy reference and reading.
3) Keep it short: Your resume should not exceed two pages. Avoid irrelevant information such as your religion, political party or high school work experience (unless it’s applicable to the position you’re applying for). Focus on the job you’re applying for, all relevant experience and reasons why you’ll benefit the company.
4) Paper/Ink: Keep your resume professional by avoiding graphics, bright colored ink and cheap paper. Invest in quality resume paper and standard blue or black ink. Keep a few copies on hand at all times.
5) Include all relevant contact information: Your name, address, phone number and email should be clearly and prominently displayed at the top of the page. This note on emails: if you’ve had yours since high school and it included nicknames or slang – upgrade it to something professional and simple. Include your contact information on both pages of your resume in case they’re separated when the prospective employer prints or copies them.
6) Keep it current: Ensure your resume is regularly updated with new information, job experiences, internships and opportunities. Present your best self.
Contact us for more helpful tips. We’re here to assist you.